Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Awake.


These flowers grow wild on bushes in my backyard.  After 11 years you would think I would have grown accustomed to seeing them bloom each June.  But, without fail, I'm taken by surprise to find the bushes outside my kitchen window all lit up in white and yellow.  Yesterday, I plucked an untamed stem and took this picture while the center was this beautiful orangey-yellow.  This morning I selected my cup with thoughts of that yolky color and how it would look against the blue of the bird.  Ah, but look how fast this flower fades.


Overnight, the yellow changed to brown.  Not quite as vibrant as I had imagined.  But in it's place, the most heavenly scent. So subtle and sweet.

2 comments:

G. Surlow said...

Very nice.


Anonymous said...

"Overnight, the yellow changed to brown. Not quite as vibrant as I had imagined. But in it's place, the most heavenly scent. So subtle and sweet." This quote from you re: the flower is so bittersweet. Makes me think of life ... and death ...