Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Finding Beauty in the Darkness


Outside in the soft, cool morning air, I read this brave, raw and unapologetic book of poetry by my dear friend, Sarah who writes of her lifelong struggle with depression.  Diving into the words of her soul, I could see myself and the darkness that has held me at times.  If you are someone who knows that cold, grip of depression & anxiety I highly recommend this book.  But, most importantly, if someone you love is suffering from the disease of depression, this book is a MUST read.  You can never truly know what goes on inside the head of another person, but this book of poetry comes closer than any other book I've read on the subject.  

Finding Beauty in the Darkness by Sarah A. Willis can be found on amazon.com. 

Here's is one of the poems that really spoke to me:

Questioning Myself

Depression is a lonely illness
That loneliness encases me
I float in a sea
Surrounded by islands of activity
Singing, dancing, conversing, connecting
I see it all around me as I bob in the cold waters
But I can't reach the shore
I want someone to see me
To reach out and pull me in
Am I that easy to forget
Am I that hard to love
I continually slip back into the water
As others walk along the sand


2 comments:

Yda said...

Incredible poem. I am usually not struck by poetry; it somehow misses me but this one is so straightforward and powerful.

Betsysinclair said...

Isn't it though? The imagery is spot on. -Betsy